Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Grid FX

I am the lead developer for an ASP.NET grid control called Grid FX. There are plenty of aftermarket grids out there and many of them are really good. And 2007 is a little late in the game to introduce a new player. So then why did Software FX throw its hat in the ring? I think it's because nobody is really dedicated to making the best grid on the market. Most component companies create a grid to round out their bundle, and then do little afterward.

I know this because I actually wrote a grid and shopped it around to component companies. While most were interested in adding a grid to the product line, none cared about creating something new. They all basically wanted to offer a GridView with a nicer UI. But I saw so many opportunities for improvement from UI to design time to even real specific areas like ViewState (oh man do I have a good post about that).

And so did Software FX, which is why I partnered with them. After arriving, we spent many months just designing this thing...more time that some others take for their entire development process. This company has amazing people. Serious serious talent. I'm confident Grid FX will soon be known as the greatest grid ever made.

Anyway, I'll talk more about the details as I go along. I hope this didn't come across as arrogant or belittling, because there are many great offerings out there in addition to what we make here in Florida. I just wanted to explain the level of devotion I have to improving web applications and bringing smiles to the developers who create them.

No comments: